Why the ISO 27001 Certification is Essential Today and How to Get It
Threat to information security is presumably the biggest threat to organizations, no matter what its nature or size is. Since digital advancements have gripped the entire world, nearly 80% of companies or businesses use computers, IT systems, or devices to save their data, process key information out of raw data, transmit information, and use it for important decision-making. The ISO 27001 certification is the specific certification framed by the ISO (International Organization of Standardization) that helps businesses to protect their crucial information assets.
The ISO 27001 standard provides organizations with benchmark requirements for managing their information security. It specifies the key requirements that you need to meet to implement a sound and effective information security management system (ISMS). With growing concerns of information risks or privacy threats everywhere, a concrete ISMS has become essential for organizations that enable them to tighten their overall security and better manage their data or information assets.
Why Should You Consider ISO 27001 Important for Information Security?
Most importantly, information security and the ISO 27001 standard do not just apply to organizations that work with computers or IT systems but also to any organizations that work with any form of information. For instance, there are written records, company’s intellectual property assets, accounts and financial reports in documents, and other paperwork. All these also fall under the category of information and hence can be protected by a properly implemented ISMS.
As the world records new instances of information security breaches, hacking, or cyber-attacks in the corporate sector every day, information security management has become a top matter of concern for every organization. Here are the benefits that ISO 27001 certification can provide to your organization.
• Increases customers or clients’ confidence in your organization: They consider sharing their personal information and confidential data truly safe with you because you have an ISMS dedicated to protecting their information.
• Builds confidence in employees: Employees or every member of an organization share their vital personal details with the HR management team and with an ISMS in place, they can be sure that their details are safe.
• Enhances corporate reputation: Implementation of an ISMS and getting it certified with the ISO 27001 standard enhances the brand reputation and business credibility in the industry. It shows that your organization is truly committed to safeguard all information that is shared by their stakeholders and uses them appropriately for business purposes or decision making.
• Eliminate any potential security risks: Of course, with an effective ISMS that is developed complying with the ISO 27001 standard can require you to check the computer systems or IT devices regularly for risks and eventually eliminate them.
While these are benefits that you can get with the ISO 27001 certification for your ISMS, how to get certified is a big worry for many organizations. The next section explains that.
How to Become ISO 27001 Certified Easily
There is a definite checklist or a template that accurately instructs how companies can establish their ISMS rightfully and get it certified with the ISO 27001 standard.
Most often, hiring ISO 27001 consultants or experts is useful because they can fully assist you in understanding the requirements of the ISO standard. They can guide you or instruct you about the steps needed to make your certification successful. The steps include the formulation of an ISMS, implementing the ISMS across all processes (i.e. organization-wide), and then complying it with each of the requirements of the ISO 27001 standard.
Getting assistance from ISO consultants is truly worthy because they:
• Help to provide peace of mind while conforming to the ISO 27001 standard
• Interpret and help in the practical application of the legislative requirements of ISO 27001 to organization’s requirements
• Provide a framework for designing, implementation and improving the control procedures or practices for information security
• Assess all processes and computers or IT systems to help you find out the risks in your organization’s security
• Review or audit the ISMS regularly to help you maintain compliance consistently
PDCA Cycle: Key Implementation Guide to ISO 27001 Standard
Like any other ISO management standards, ISO 27001 is also based on the definite management framework i.e. PDCA cycle. It implies a Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle that focuses on ongoing improvement and increases the effectiveness of the ISMS in protecting your information assets.
In brief, the PDCA cycle can be explained as:
• Plan: Finding out objectives of the ISMS, determining the resources required to form the ISMS, forming the organization’s information security policies, and identifying key risks.
• Do: Implementing the ISMS as whatever planned or decided in the earlier step.
• Check: Monitoring the processes, computers and IT systems to see the security improvements achieved after implementation of ISMS
• Act: Taking action to improve the performance of the ISMS as much as possible by identifying any risks or uncertainties
Implementing an ISMS and obtaining the ISO 27001 certification for your organization can enable you to gain a competitive advantage in the industry. Your organization can get more opportunities to associate or partner with bigger brands that have key concerns on security aspects. Your ISO certification can provide a reassurance to them that their information is safe and hence their customers’ interests are protected.
To get compliance with ISO 27001 standard requirements, talking to an expert team like ours can be fruitful. We, at Compliancehelp Consulting LLC, can plan your certification process and make it cost-friendly!
Get in touch with our ISO consultants if you think your organization’s information security needs to be strengthened.